Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP) is a an employment training program designed to assist the mature worker, age 55 and older, in re-entering the job market. It operates under a grant from the U.S. Department of Labor Under Title V of the Older Americans Act. Each year SCSEP enables a multitude of low-income seniors to “earn and learn” while working in local non-profit programs serving their community.
Are you 55 or older and looking for a job?
Employers value the skills and experience older workers bring to the workplace, so they are looking for people like you. If you’re 55 or older with a low income, local organizations are ready to help you refresh your job skills and re-enter the workforce.
Eligible individuals are enrolled, usually for 20 hours per week at minimum wage, in non-profit or public agencies where they receive:
- Skill acquisition or skill enhancement opportunities
- Personal and employment-related counseling
- Assistance in the transition to unsubsidized employment
What are the goals of the program?
- Achieve permanent employment.
- Provide paid training to enhance opportunities.
- Enhance services to the community as a whole by placing the program participants in community service agencies.
- Serve as a link between employers seeking to hire older employees and the older worker.
Types of community services:
The program provides temporary training that contributes to the general welfare of the community. Typically, SCSEP participants are offered training in:
- Senior citizen centers
- Literacy instruction
- Nutrition programs
- Beautification projects
- Child care centers
How do I know if I’m eligible for SCSEP?
To be eligible for SCSEP, you must be:
- 55 or older
- Live in Adams or York County
- Living on a family income of no more than 125% of the federal poverty level
It is best to contact us to determine eligibility as not all income is counted.
What do I need to apply?
To apply, simply contact the SCSEP office listed on the back of this brochure to complete an application. Please be sure to bring:
- State or Federal Picture ID
- Social Security Card
- Documentation of any source of income (i.e., your Social Security or Unemployment Determination)
Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP)
Crispus Attucks Association
500 South George Street
York, PA 17401
Connecting mature workers with jobs in their community